Skip to main content

DRONES ARE GOING TO SAVE US


“A company called Matternet plans to use drones to build next-generation infrastructure in developing countries.”

Pardon my ignorance, but what is “next-generation infrastructure”? And why does it only get built in developing countries?

The above is a line taken from this enthusiastic Forbes article: Prepare For Takeoff: Where Drones WillMake The Next Big Impact
 Drones are apparently the next big thing. And like the Internet, they are going to save us. 

According to the same article:
Rather than dust an entire field with pesticides, farmers can use this data to direct drones to water and spray individual plants.

Doesn’t that make you feel safe? Instead of people walking around with pesticides, you now have drones dropping out of the sky spraying plants. I am sure these drones are built so brilliantly they can direct their poison in exactly the right place.

Now if drone-makers and propaganda writers for drones are to be believed, drones are about to make agriculture “more sustainable.” As in:
“Every year we spend millions of dollars on over-applied farm chemicals,” explained Charles Malveaux, a Ph.D. candidate in biological engineering at Louisiana State University who’s testing his own unmanned aerial vehicle system at LSU’s AgCenter.
“You expand it out to a global level,” Malveaux continued, “and you’re talking about saving billions of dollars, you’re talking about making farms more efficient and more sustainable."

I guess I misunderstood the word “sustainable.” I thought it meant moving away from toxic chemicals.

So what kind of farms are these, that can apparently absorb the costs of expensive drone pesticide droppers? If Mr. Malveaux  is to be believed, apparently every farm, everywhere. Whoever this Malveaux is, he clearly has sci-fi like understanding of what the “global level’ of agriculture is up to, at the moment.

Because right now I am sitting in a town that seems to be turning, increasingly, towards organic agriculture. They don’t like pesticides. They don’t like genetically modified things. And I think pretty soon they won’t like drones either.

It is clear that the USA is up to its neck in new technology that is just about to be implemented, all on a global level. It is also pretty clear that the regulatory mechanisms for regulating usages of these often deadly technologies has been non-existent, or lost in that euphoria of scientific triumphalism.

The global surveillance of the USA became possible in part because the notion of responsibility has been erased in the search for entrepreneurship, deliverables and proactivity. As long as there’s some results (in the case of the global surveillance, economic profit from stealing data), the culture of the USA now no longer cares what ethical damage happens on the side. Notice how John McCain was the only one to raise a peep against that good guy Keith Alexander.  As he said so aptly:


“We no longer hold anybody accountable in Washington."

Even the Electronic Frontier Foundation’s representative came back and reported, in that exasperatingly casual American way, that Keith Alexander was a  nice guy and he made some funny jokes that made people laugh. I am paraphrasing here. I guess 7 billion people were waiting to hear something else other than that.

The discourse in the USA still seems to brush aside the global repulsion and horror at the surveillance with a causal shrug, as if all the reaction is overblown. Or as if it will go away, as long as they just continue with Business As Usual. 

There may already be drones out there, spying on us in the form of mosquitoes. We don’t really know if they exist or not. And as far as I know, no regulatory mechanism, especially on a global level, has said this is illegal and those who bring about such technologies go to jail. And of course, nobody’s actually asking: hey, have these guys already made these surveillance drones and are they already spying on people? 

I bet a chocolate bar they are already spying illegally on people.

Is the global community ready with a regulatory and legal response? If tomorrow it comes about that there is widespread usage of these surveillance drones against political dissidents and others, what is the UN prepared to do? What do the Europeans do? What do the USA’ s laws say about all this?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Milk and rice

Sushma Joshi I am the youngest of seven cousins. When we were little, we used to play lukamari , or hide-and-seek, games in the garden. My eldest cousin sister, taking pity on me, would allow me to be a dudh-bhat (milk and rice) during our games. A dudh-bhat is someone too young to play the game adequately, but the older children allow this young one to tag along and never be “outed” from the game because they might cry if made to leave. So this means you are endlessly in the game, even when in reality you should really be out. Of course, being the youngest means you may always retain the status of a dudh-bhat even when you do grow up. In Nepal, as we know all too well, the hierarchy of age allows the young some privileges, along with the old. It appears to me Madhav Kumar, even though he's lost the game twice in two elections, is being allowed to be the dudh-bhat by his wiser and more tolerant elders. He is allowed to be in the game endlessly even though in reality he should real...

Prabal Gurung: Nepal’s global celebrity

SUSHMA JOSHI MAR 27, 2010 - Kathmandu Post Prabal Gurung has become a household name in most of the planet, and yet, ironically, remains fairly unknown in Nepal. After starting his own fashion label titled Prabal Gurung, Prabal is on his dizzying way to dress some of the most famous people in the world. Recently, Michelle Obama was seen wearing his black-and-white brush-painted rose-silk twill gazar hand-draped off-the-shoulder dress. She had a radiant smile, and looked softer and relaxed than she usually did in her tightly tailored outfits. Actress Demi Moore has become a big fan and tweeted about Prabal on Twitter, sending the first wave of news about this new designer across the planet. Vogue Editor in Chief Anna Wintour, who was immortalised for her excruciatingly high standards in the movie, The Devil Wears Prada, recently sat in the front row of Prabal’s show at the New York Fashion Week, giving him the kiss of approval. And yet, he remains to be known in his own home country...

Rai Ko Ris

Sarina Rai - Rai Ko Ris ------------------------------------------------------------------------ An interview by Sushma Joshi Why Rai Ko Ris? The band you mean? Because it's a typical thing we say out here and I am a Rai-nee so it was partly a good Nepali name and partly a good joke. Nothing to do with how great Rais are or anything. All people will behave the same...i.e. what benefits them. You can't say you're different coz you're this or that ethnicity in the end. What were the three things that turned you into this punk-rocking guerilla artist? I don't know about artist...I’d say more music-person. I think guerilla is spelt “guerrilla”. I was always surrounded by cousin brothers who played geeetar and I was not satisfied just being an on-looker. I wanted to rock out too. And I was always screaming and shouting my own songs since I was tiny- the squash racquet (guitar) and hairbrush (microphone) act. I loved loud, fast, rock music. At 17 I had a...