Skip to main content

TRAPPED IN THE HIMALAYAS

Nation Weekly magazine, Sushma Joshi

Firas Al-Bakwa, a 29 year old Iraqi refugee, has been in Nepal for the last four years. He left Baghdad in 1999. The police fired into a large crowd that was demonstrating against the assassination of Ayatollah Al-Sadar, a Shia leader. Firas, who carried a wounded friend to safety, fled after he heard Saddam’s police were gunning for him. After Firas Al-Bakwa spending some time in Jordan, Firas was on his way to New Zealand when the immigration authorities in Hongkong detected his fake passport, and sent him back to his last port of arrival, Kathmandu. Firas has UNHCR status as a refugee but is unable to leave because the Nepali government insists he must pay the monthly $180 visitor visa fee that has accumulated for four years, along with fines. Firas talked with Sushma Joshi of the Nation Weekly magazine about his feelings of being unable to leave a country which has become his prison.

Why did you leave?
I was taking part in the protest against the killing of the Ayatollah. The Baathist party came and started to fire at the crowd. They killed so many people – 100 or more. There was blood everywhere. It was like the movies.

You fled to Jordan before coming here. Why did you not stay there?
In Jordan, its worse than here – they can always get you. They were always checking visas. They arrested so many Iraqi people with Jordanian intelligence and sent them back to Iraq.

How did you end up in Nepal?
I was going to go to New Zealand, where my brothers live. I had heard of Nepal, but I didn’t know where it was. Nobody knows about Nepal in the Middle East. My smuggler sent me here to make it appear like there were many steps so he could take a lot of money from me. That’s why I hate my smuggler.

How do you find this country?
Frankly, I find it the worst place to be. They don’t even recognize refugees that the UNHCR has recognized as refugees – they see me as illegal. I wanted to go to a country with dignity and rights, but instead I am here.

What happened after you were sent back from Hongkong?
They put me in prison for six months in Dillibazzar. It was the worst time. There were other Iraqis there, and they told me to apply for refugee status in UNHCR. They took two months to give that to me, after which I went in front of a judge, and he reduced my jailterm to four months and released me.

What was jail in Nepal like?
They cheated me. They told me wrong information about bail so I had to stay in jail for six months.

What has UNHCR done for you?
UNHCR is a very weak organization. It’s only for their employees, who make a good salary. There are 20 million refugees in the world, and they are able to take out only 3 per year from Nepal.

Is your family back in Iraq?
My father, my mother, my two brothers and two sisters are all back there. They want me to come back. Well, they want, and they don’t. Being a young man is risky in Iraq. My brother’s car was hit by an American patrol and they beat him up, so its not safe.

Do you want to go back?
Now that Saddam is gone, I would go back to Iraq, even illegally. But now the UN claims that they need permission from the Coalition Forces for me to go back to my own country.

What’s most oppressive about being in Nepal?
I have no family, no work. I take violin lessons, and computer lessons. But without work, its not easy. I was a student of agriculture in Iraq. I tried to enroll in Rampur College in Chitwan, and they told me I had to pay $20,000. I asked them: is this Cambridge University I am applying to?

How have you tried to leave Nepal?
I waited 18 months to hear about my visa application to Australia. They rejected my application. They said I was not a refugee, and that I am not living outside my country. Should a country torture somebody in this way? Keeping a human being who wants to learn, to work, in this state is torture. Not physical torture, like Saddam, but still torture.

What’s next for you?
I have been waiting to hear of my application from New Zealand for sixteen months. How much time do I have? That was a year and a half of my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bitter Truth: Talat Abbasi's Bitter Gourds

The stories are small, but with a spicy aftertaste that could be from nowhere else but the subcontinent. Talat Abbasi's Bitter Gourd and Other Stories is a collection of nugget sized, delectable tales laid out, in typical desi fashion, amongst the detritus of social stratification, family ennui, economic marginalization and diaspora. Gently dousing her stories with a generous portion of irony and satire, the Karachi born writer brings to the fore the small hypocrisies and the mundane corruptions of everyday life in Pakistan. Whether dealing with a birdman or a poor relation, a rich widow or an immigrant mother, Ms. Abbasi touches the mythic heart that ticks besides all these caricatures. The ghostly narrative influence of Virginia Woolf, with a pinch of Victorian lit thrown in for good measure, is discernable, although most of the voices are centered around the "how kind, how kind" echoes of South Asia. The book starts, appropriately, with a story about a feudal patro

INTERVIEW: TOM ARENS

KHULA MANCH Tom Arens first came to Nepal in 1972 as the South Asian representative of World Neighbors, a small American INGO. He stayed for 28 years. He was one of the founding members of the Federation of NGOs. Arens talked with Sushma Joshi of the Nation Weekly about the changes he has seen in the development scene in Nepal, as well as his thoughts about the direction in which the nation should take in the coming years. What was Nepal like in 1972? When World Neighbors first started, we worked with The Nepal’s Women’s Organization and Paropakar. These were the only two established smaller NGOs. We started with small funds: $50,000-100,000 the first couple of years. The government was ambivalent about smaller non-profits, so we couldn’t get registered until 7 years later, when the Social Service Welfare Council was established. The Queen was the chair. The Council helped to give status to smaller non-profits and to facilitate our work. What was your first program? Our first program w

Milk and rice

Sushma Joshi I am the youngest of seven cousins. When we were little, we used to play lukamari , or hide-and-seek, games in the garden. My eldest cousin sister, taking pity on me, would allow me to be a dudh-bhat (milk and rice) during our games. A dudh-bhat is someone too young to play the game adequately, but the older children allow this young one to tag along and never be “outed” from the game because they might cry if made to leave. So this means you are endlessly in the game, even when in reality you should really be out. Of course, being the youngest means you may always retain the status of a dudh-bhat even when you do grow up. In Nepal, as we know all too well, the hierarchy of age allows the young some privileges, along with the old. It appears to me Madhav Kumar, even though he's lost the game twice in two elections, is being allowed to be the dudh-bhat by his wiser and more tolerant elders. He is allowed to be in the game endlessly even though in reality he should real